Just a quick post on a Saturday morning. I just returned from a refreshingly cool run. While running I was thinking about a panel discussion I am participating in on Tuesday. The panel is focused on measuring project success which led me to this short list of items you should keep in mind when delivering any large scale deployment:
- Ensure you have a clear understanding of what the business is trying to accomplish. Discuss with all teams involved and, if any discrepancies are identified, get them resolved.
- Identify all people who will be impacted by your work.
- Identify all business processes that currently exist in the areas being impacted by your work.
- Identify a stakeholder review team that can help ensure that the vendors and consultants involved the project are staying on track.
- Use an iterative design/execution approach. Identify short-term milestones, similar to agile sprints, that can be used to ensure the project remains on track.
- If you have a strong project manager in house, give them ownership of the project, not the consultants or vendors. This is your project, take ownership, succeed.
I know this list is incomplete but it’s Saturday. Let me know what you think.